As of yesterday, I have released Hyperspace for iOS.
You can purchase the game here.
Haven’t posted here in a while now, so I guess I could sum up what I’ve been working on lately.
Well, Hyperspace is finished but I’m not quite proud enough of the result to upload it to the app store (yeah, I know, there’s worse games on there but that’s not something I want to live by). I will be uploading it to the website soon if I can get it to work.
This game symbolizes everything that can go wrong during development. I am very much ashamed of what we have created but the experience has taught me a lot.
What ended up going wrong was that we had no animations, and I was waiting on the animations before programming the combat system, and then the mocap suit broke and then we had trouble getting the mocap data into the game properly, and we ended up just not using the mocap data at all, mere weeks before the deadline. So what we ended up with was an interactive virtual walk through some decent looking environments, with a terrible combat system taped on it.
As I’ve said, the experience from project viking has taught me a lot. Mainly that we should aim for smaller projects. Our current project was started a few months ago and is coming along nicely. It will most likely be finished well before the deadline, so we’ve got plenty of time to playtest and design as we go.
I don’t want to show the game just yet, because it is all still very much subject to change. Expect it to land early in the new year, but perhaps we can push it a little sooner.
I’ve got Hyperspace to work on Chrome’s Native Client. The advantages of that are that it runs very fast (much faster than the Flash version or a WebPlayer version) and it will also work in Linux!
Here are the steps to get this to work:
I would like you all to know that Bedroom Racer is still very much alive and kicking. In fact, it’s running better than ever. Thanks to my grown experience in Unity3D, I have optimized the scene to run at 200FPS (that would be 5 milliseconds per frame for the programmers) on a Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz with GeForce 320m machine.
I have also changed the graphics style to something rather more pleasing to the eyes, I present Bedroom Racer’s new look:
I have also added the most important feature in quite some time; HIGHSCORES!
Last but not least, I have been modelling some more cars for the game:
I’m also planning to pitch the game to Chillingo when I’m a little further in development. Been loving every part of the development process so far, the game will ship this year on the Mac App Store, on IndieCity and on Desura.
I’m also working on a MASSIVE student game codenamed ‘Project Viking’. I do not have much to show you yet, but I can give you some data; We will be working with 6 people on the game for around 4 months, the project is ambitious but I have all confidence that we will make it. Because of the nature of the project I have decided to use Unity Pro instead (while Bedroom Racer will use Unity Free, even though the screenshots show Unity Pro, the final game will not use any pro features and no pro features (such as the profiler or pro lightmapper features) have been used) and because of my student license I shall distribute the game for free.
If there’s a demand for it, I shall start a kickstarter to remove the watermark (bottom right corner says “for educational use only”, not very intrusive”) after which the game will still be free because nearly everyone uses student licenses of 3DS Max and Photoshop (I use Blender and Pixelmator myself, both legal and full versions).
Further, I have had to format my hard drive and install OSX Lion on my computer because of some problems with the partition and because my Snow Leopard install disk is broken. The moral of that story is: do not turn off your computer while it’s booting, even though you selected the wrong OS on bootup and it went right the first 500 times. Data can get permanently damaged, but luckily no important data has been lost (as far as I know that is) because the drive was still good enough to backup it’s contents.
I have plenty more ideas to execute in 2012 and we will definitely see a few of them released to the public. For one, I’ve been working on a LylatWars clone in Flash (some known issues with the Crome/Flash/OS-X combination, which had actually been fixed for a while): http://wolfos.org/resources/flash/FlashTest.html
For two, I have been working on a private chat to discuss Project Viking with my team, because the other chat we’ve been using failed. Learned a bit about databases and servers in the process. Long story short, I can (probably) make multiplayer games now.